Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Ups and Downs

Well, it's been a few weeks since my last post and though I was determined to build on a somewhat decent start to the season, things have gone a little south instead. Granted, this is due mostly to extraneous circumstances, entirely unrelated to climbing. I have changed directions slightly, read 180 degrees, and will be staying close to the gramps for at least the next two years. Next year sees me as head of the English and Humanities department at Marian College and the proud owner of a hobby farm in Moyston, about 20 minutes from Halls Gap. So, all of this should see me heavily involved in the bouldering and climbing scene here in Victoria, if it can actually be called a scene... One of the reasons that the climbing season has stalled a little is the lack of climbing partners and, of course, the outrageous weather that we have endured in the last month or so.
Anyway, besides all of that I have made a couple of trips out, mostly to Sandanista to knock off the classics that remain shaded late in the afternoon. I have been having a dabble on Contra Arms Pump (30) and am very close. For all those not familiar with this route, it is an absolute classic, though a little scary and committing. Blind placing a cam in the middle of the crux section is definitely a highlight and one that I would recommend to all comers... Luckily it slides in rather well and has held a number of falls. With any luck, it should be done in the next week or so, just as I begin holidays. Cannot wait...

1 comment: